MISH'S
Global Economic
Trend Analysis

Recent Posts

Thursday, October 02, 2014 2:54 PM


Gordon Long Video Interview of Mish: Topic - Financial Repression (and How to Defend Yourself From It)


Mish Moved to MishTalk.Com Click to Visit.

I had the pleasure of being interviewed by Gordon Long last week. Gordon is publisher and editor of Gordon T Long Macro Analytics.

The topic was "Financial Repression".

What is financial repression? I defined it as "a set of fiscal and monetary policies for the expressed benefit of the ruling class: politicians, banks, and the already wealthy, at the expense of everyone else."

In the video, I give numerous examples of repression, noting that central bank sponsored inflation is the epitome of financial repression.

We also discuss what to do about financial repression.

The video is about 30 minutes long.



There is one chart in the video that Gordon used to reflect a point I made on inflation. The chart is from Shadowstats, a methodology to which I disagree.

I do believe inflation statistics are a mess but in different ways than Shadowstats. I talked about this recently in my blog Housing Prices, "Real" Interest Rates, and the "Real" CPI.

Also consider GDP, Real GDP, and Shadowstats "Theater of the Absurd" GDP.

Other than that single chart, Gordon did an excellent job of putting together visuals to accompany our video discussion.

Again, it was a pleasure to be on with Gordon. See the link at the top for additional views on financial repression.

Mike "Mish" Shedlock
http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com

Last 10 Posts


Copyright 2009 Mike Shedlock. All Rights Reserved.
View My Stats