MISH'S
Global Economic
Trend Analysis

Recent Posts

Tuesday, February 09, 2010 11:35 AM


How To Keep The Money "All In The Family"


Mish Moved to MishTalk.Com Click to Visit.

Here is an interesting idea in response to Seniors Need Yield But Nowhere Good To Go; FDIC Moral Hazard Yet Again.

"Doug H" Writes:

Hi Mish

My Dad, now 88 years old, sold out of everything, bonds, mutual funds and even his house a few years ago, right before the crash and has kept it all in laddered CDs. Thank-you for helping to inform our decision there, it helped preserve $150k or more.

Interest payments covered most of his expenses while he was getting 4-5%, but that isn’t happening now and, at 88, he certainly is in no position to go chasing yield elsewhere.

We have hit on what we think is a good alternative. I have seven years left on my mortgage at 6%. Better he should get it than Midland Mortgage Co. so Dad will soon be my new mortgage holder. He gets a monthly check, I get a little break on the rate (5%) and we keep the money in the family.
This sounds like a winning solution to me.

The only caveat I can think of is charging too little interest. Please Beware of imputed interest rules. This does not constitute tax advice, but 5% seems reasonable.

Mike "Mish" Shedlock
http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com
Click Here To Scroll Thru My Recent Post List

Last 10 Posts


Copyright 2009 Mike Shedlock. All Rights Reserved.
View My Stats