MISH'S
Global Economic
Trend Analysis

Recent Posts

Monday, February 01, 2010 6:49 PM


In Defense of Drunken Sailors


Mish Moved to MishTalk.Com Click to Visit.

Proving that he ought to be voted out of office, House Majority Whip James Clyburn (D-S.C.) wants Congress to spend like drunken sailors. More specifically Clyburn says 'We've got to spend our way out of this recession'

The U.S. government must spend its way out of the recession, the Democrats' third-ranking House leader stressed Monday.

Rep. James Clyburn (D-S.C.), the House majority whip, said that trying to find greater savings in the budget, which was released by President Barack Obama this morning, wouldn't help alleviate the recession.

"We've got to make some decisions here as to what's in the best interests of our country going forward," Clyburn said during an appearance on Fox News. "And I think the best interest is to invest in education, control these deficits, while at the same time trying to get people back to work."

"We're not going to save our way out of this recession," the majority whip added. "We've got to spend our way out of this recession, and I think most economists know that."
Drunken Sailor Chimes In

Now that we have clarified what most economists know, we also need to give equal time to drunken sailors. Fortunately, I can oblige.

My friend Paul, a self proclaimed drunken sailor is infuriated with the comparison between politicians and sailors. Paul just pinged me with ....
Mish,

I can’t take it anymore. I need to take a stand. Right here. Right now. Lately, so much hate and vitriol has been directed at drunken sailors.

Why has it become so chic in the blogosphere to make the analogy that the Congress, the States, the Municipalities all spend like drunken sailors? Why the sudden urge to besmirch, dare I say libel, drunken sailors?

I assure you, a drunken sailor is a harmless creature. I speak from experience. I have been a drunken sailor. Many of my best friends have been drunken sailors.

Whereas from my perspective, all flavors of government inflict great harm. To infer a resemblance between a politician and a drunken sailor should be actionable!

When pulling into a foreign port after many weeks or months at sea with the world’s finest navy, I always looked forward to sampling the native’s libations. Yes, I got hammered.

However, when I ran out of money I STOPPED DRINKING! I didn’t club the patron on the bar stool next to me over the head and rob him so I could continue drinking. I didn’t call me wife and ask her to cash in the kids college funds so I could continue drinking. I didn’t write my unborn grandkids an IOU so I could continue drinking. I just stopped and stumbled back to the liberty launch for a cheeseburger. I knew I’d have some cash next payday and I could hit the bars and clubs in the next liberty port.

So please, no more comparisons of deficit spending politicians to harmless drunken sailors. Drunken sailors have feelings too.

Cheers,

Paul
On behalf of the blogosphere, apologies offered to all drunken sailors everywhere, for an inaccurate and libelous comparison.

Quotes

"To say Congress is spending like drunken sailors is an insult to drunken sailors." -- Ronald Reagan

"The difference between congressmen and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors are spending their own money." -- Rep. Tom Feeney

The above from Observations On Politicians

Mike "Mish" Shedlock
http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com
Click Here To Scroll Thru My Recent Post List

Last 10 Posts


Copyright 2009 Mike Shedlock. All Rights Reserved.
View My Stats